JAN: Job Accommodation Network

JAN en EspaƱol

Print this Page

A A A Text Size

Home >> Generated from JAN's SOAR Information System on 6/20/2018 10:50:43 PM.


Sign language interpreters are professional who assist with communication between individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing and use sign language and individuals who do not use sign language.  In the US most sign language interpreters use American Sign Language (ASL).  However, other types of interpreters such as Certified Deaf Interpreters (CDI), tactile interpreters, or Cued Speech interpreters may be needed in addition to or instead of ASL interpreters depending on the communication needs of the individuals involved.

To locate an interpreter, contact the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) at (703)838-0030 V, (703)838-0459 TTY  or use the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf's Find Interpreter Agency/Referral Service.




JAN provides free, confidential technical assistance about job accommodations and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Send Us Feedback.
(800)526-7234 (Voice)
(877)781-9403 (TTY)
Live Chat
ODEP: JAN is a service of the Office of Disability Employment Policy, U.S. Department of Labor
Accessibility  |  Copyright  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Statement  |  Site Map